Saturday 25 January 2014

F W Woolworths - Gone But Not Forgotten

Woolworths I miss you badly
As I write my list today
Gone but not forgotten
Why couldn’t you make it pay
 
No more kitchen wall clocks
No more super mops
Gone the paint and rollers
You really were the tops
 
I need a plastic tea-tray
And lots of pick and mix
But gone your many treasures
Where will I get my fix
 
I miss the socks and cushions
The tea pots, pads and pencils
I miss the toys and frying pans
The dye, the mugs and stencils
 
I need some brown shoe polish
And own brand paint remover
I need a pair of earphones
And dust bags for my Hoover
 
I want some black boot laces
And brass numbers for my gate
I want a funny birthday card
To send to my good mate
 
Where will I find my baubles
And chocolates for my tree
The tins of Cadbury’s roses
On buy one get one free
 
Woolies I mourn your passing
You’ve been with me since youth
There’s no shop quite like you
And that’s the honest truth
 
As a kid I loved your wonder
And not bothered by your staff
My little gang would nick things
But only for a laugh
 
My sister used to work there
My mum would shop there too
Sis filled her bags with items
But only charged for two
 
Now only left with memories
Of your amazing range of stock
The day they said you’d gone bust
Came as quite a shock
 
The diverse things I needed
Piled up high all in one place
Your passing into history
Is simply a disgrace

No comments:

Post a Comment